OF BRYNFORD AND CALCOED
BY THE LATE JENNY EDWARDS
(1916 - 2009)
Jenny (formerly Jenny Warburton) was
born in 1916 and moved from Holywell to Narrow Lane, Calcoed with
her parents when she was 2 years old. She lived in the area all
her life and here are some of her recollections.
Brynford School 1921 - 1930
The headmaster was Mr John Brookes-Jones who, by all accounts,
was quite distant with both pupils and their parents so as not to
show any favouritism.
The old school (currently the church hall) had 2 rooms and one of
these was occupied by the infants and standards 1+2 who were taught
by Daisy Jones. Standards 3+4 were taught by Miss Eluned Jones and
Mr Brookes-Jones taught standards 5, 6 and 7 in the other room.
from as far away as Babell walked to school and were expected
to arrive by 9 am and any latecomers were often caned by the
headmaster. The school was heated by a coke stove which made
the classroom rather smoky and on wet days steam would rise
from the children's drying clothes. School dinners were not
provided and so Jenny's mum would make bread and milk(or buttermilk
if they were lucky!) for Jenny and her 3 brothers. In the
summer they would meet for lunch on the mountain.
After the age of 11, the girls would walk to
Perth y Terfyn in Holywell every Friday where they would receive
cookery lessons from Miss Lloyd of Mold. The boys walked to
the same venue on a Wednesday for joinery lessons with Mr
Jenny is pictured here on the 2nd row, 2nd from the left.
|Water and Electricity Supply
There was no mains water in Calcoed. Every morning, the women
would fetch water from a well behind the Old Offices* on the mountain.
Jenny's father also made a tank to catch rain water. In the 1930's
3 standpipes were introduced in Calcoed : on the Main Road, Narrow
Lane and near Flaxfield. The situation in Brynford is somewhat unclear
but there is an old standpipe outside Bryn Sannan Cottage. Mains water
pipelines direct to most premises quickly followed. Mains electricity
was introduced in about 1952.
*The Old Offices(originally used for the lead mines) were a row of
cottages near Calcoed which became derelict and were then converted
into houses by Mr Atkinson.
*Jenny always remembers Brynford post office and general
stores which was established just after the first world war.
*Mr and Mrs Roberts sold groceries at Claremont but then moved to
Erw Wen in 1951 where they continued with the business.Their daughter
Mrs E Barnes and her husband took over the shop from 1969 until
*Tommy Edwards sold coal and groceries from his house on the mountain
near Brynford crossroads.
* Just after the second world war there was a cafe at The Gables,
* Miss Price sold bread and paraffin from one of the two cottages
where Fairview currently stands next to Calcoed Chapel.
*Mr Edwards had a butcher's shop at Trigfa (next to the chapel),
The Golf Course
Holywell golf club was established in 1906. The course used
to stretch as far as Naid y March where a bell was rung to warn
people if a ball was likely to go over the bank. The Everton football
team would play here regularly for relaxation in the 1950's.